- Drinking water production and distribution, innovative microbial monitoring of distribution networks, and growth of pathogens.
- Seawater desalination, biofouling of NF/RO membranes, control strategies: prevention and cleaning
- Advanced imaging techniques for biofilm monitoring, In-situ non-destructive studies on biofouling processes in Reverse Osmosis (RO) membrane systems.
- Methods of testing for physical, chemical and biological parameters in water samples
Cartridge filter selection and replacement: Optimization of produced water quantity, quality, and cost
N.M. Farhat, C. Christodoulou, P. Placotas, B. Blankert, O. Sallangos, J.S. Vrouwenvelder
Desalination, Vol 473, p 114172, (2020)
Role of feed water biodegradable substrate concentration on biofouling: Biofilm characteristics, membrane performan...
N.M. Farhat, L. Javier, M.C.M. Can Loosdrecht, J.C. Kruithof, J.S. Vrouwenvelder
Water Research, volume 150, pp. 1-11, (2019)
Impact of membrane biofouling in the sequential development of performance indicators: Feed channel pressure drop, ...
N. Siebdrath, N. Farhat, W. Ding, J. Kruithof, J.S. Vrouwenvelder
Journal of Membrane Science, (2019)
A uniform bacterial growth potential assay for different water types
N. Farhat, F. Hammes, E. Prest, J. Vrouwenvelder
Water Research, volume 142, pp. 227-235, (2018)
Application of monochloramine for wastewater reuse: Effect on biostability during transport and biofouling in RO me...
N.M. Farhat, E. Loubineaud, E.I.E.C. Prest, J. El-Chakhtoura, C. Salles, Sz.S. Bucs, J. Tr...
Journal of Membrane Science, volume 551, pp. 243-253, (2018)
Effect of water temperature on biofouling development in reverse osmosis membrane systems
N.M. Farhat, J.S. Vrouwenvelder, M.C.M. Van Loosdrecht, S.S. Bucs, M. Staal
Water Research, Volume 103, pp. 149-159, (2016)
Spatial heterogeneity of biofouling under different cross-flow velocities in reverse osmosis membrane systems
N.M. Farhat, M. Staal, S.S. Bucs, M.C.M. Van Loosdrecht, J.S. Vrouwenvelder
Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 520, pp. 964-971, (2016)
Development of a setup to enable stable and accurate flow conditions for membrane biofouling studies
S.S. Bucs, N.M. Farhat, A. Siddiqui, R. Valladares Linares, A. Radu, J.C. Kruithof, J.S. V...
Desalination and Water Treatment, (2015)
Early non-destructive biofouling detection and spatial distribution: application of oxygen sensing optodes
N.M. Farhat, M. Staal, A. Siddiqui, S.M. Borisov, S.S. Bucs, J.S. Vrouwenvelder
Water Research, volume 83, 10-20, (2015)
- Ph.D., Environmental Science and Engineering, KAUST, Saudi Arabia, 2016
- M.Sc., Environmental Science and Engineering, KAUST, Saudi Arabia, 2011
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon, 2008
- 2020-Present: Research scientist, KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- 2015-2019: Postdoctoral fellow, KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- 2012-2015: Ph.D. Student, KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- 2008-2010: Environmental Engineer, Consolidated Engineering Company Khatib & Alami Co., Beirut, Lebanon
- Gamal Abdel Nasser Award for Academic Distinction, Highest academic award at Beirut Arab University, July 2008
- Water Desalination and Reuse Center (WDRC)
- Biological and Environmental Sciences & Engineering Division (BESE)