Ensuring reliable access to clean and affordable water is one of the greatest global challenges of this century. Overcoming this challenge requires new resource management approaches and technological reform. Nanotechnology offers significant opportunities to revolutionize approaches towards sustainable and energy efficient drinking water production and wastewater reuse. The unique and highly tunable properties that arise at the nano-scale (high surface area, selective surface reactivity, surface catalysis, etc.) of nanomaterials have led to innovations and fueled advances in many water technologies in the past decade.
The aim of the KAUST Research Conference: Nano-Enabled Water Technologies: Opportunities and Challenges is to highlight the role of nano as an enabler towards energy efficient clean water production and to discuss the challenges in the path forward. The conference will cover the topics on fundamentals, applications, and scaling up of the nano-enabled water technologies as related to ongoing research at the Water Desalination and Reuse Center (WDRC) and KAUST as a whole.
The topics to be discussed at this conference are:
1. Nano-Enabled Water Technologies: Overview and Saudi Perspective
2. Emerging polymeric membranes for water applications
3. Nanocomposite membranes and 2D materials for water desalination and purification
4. Nanomaterials for water treatment and monitoring
5. Nano for food, agriculture and resource recovery
Click on the link below for the list of speakers and their topics:
11.04.2018_Speakers_Nano-Enabled Water Technologies.pdf
Call For Poster
We welcome the participation of Masters and Ph.D. students from KAUST and in-Kingdom universities working in related fields.
KAUST will arrange accommodation and flights for the presenters of the best 20 selected in-Kingdom posters (one presenter per poster).
The poster submission for evaluation must follow these guidelines:
- Poster contents: Introduction, problem statement, results and conclusion
- Format: PDF format, portrait layout and A0 size (841mm x 1189mm or 33.11" x 46.81")
- All the documents and presentations must be in English.
Poster submission: November 30, 2018
Acceptance notification: December 6, 2018
Upload of a final corrected version (if needed): December 31, 2018
Professor Suzana Nunes, Co-Chair
Professor Peng Wang, Co-Chair
Professor Johannes Vrouwenvelder, Center Director
Water Desalination and Reuse Center
The conference is sponsored by the KAUST Office of Sponsored Research.