- Integration of membrane technology in advanced water treatment processes coupled with physical/chemical/biological processes.
- Applications of interest include treatment of drinking water, municipal/industrial wastewater, industrial process water (e.g. oil and gas), recycling systems in aquaculture and challenges related to management and development of sustainable technologies for water treatment and wastewater reuse. Emphasis is on low pressure, energy efficient membrane systems for water and wastewater treatment.
- Fundamental studies: membrane fouling, biofouling and impact of colloidal particles.
- Systems studies: integrated process designs, energy reduction, membrane module designs, sustainable solutions for target applications.
Effect of microbial community structure on organic removal and biofouling in membrane adsorption bioreactor used in...
S. Jeong, K. Cho, H. Bae, P. Keshvardoust, S.A. Rice, S. Vigneswaran, S. Lee, T.O. Leiknes
Chemical Engineering Journal, Volume 294, p.30-39, (2016)
High flux and antifouling properties of negatively charged membrane for dyeing wastewater treatment by membrane dis...
A. Kyoungjin An, J. Guo, S. Jeong, E.-J. Lee, S.A.A. Tabatabai, T.O. Leiknes
Water Research, Volume 103, pp. 362-371, (2016)
Integrated approach to characterize fouling on a flat sheet membrane gravity driven submerged membrane bioreactor
L. Fortunato, S. Jeong, Y. Wang, A.R. Behzad, T.O. Leiknes
Bioresource Technology 222, pp. 335-343, (2016)
Managed aquifer recharge (MAR) economics for wastewater reuse in low population Wadi communities, Kingdom of Saudi ...
T.M. Missimer, R. Maliva, N. Ghaffour, T.O. Leiknes, G.L. Amy
Water 2014, 6(8), 2322-2338, (2014)
Oxidation of Refractory Benzothiazoles with PMS/CuFe2O4: Kinetics and Transformation Intermediates
T. Zhang, Y. Chen, T.O. Leiknes
Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 50, Issue 11, pp. 5864-5873, (2016)
Liquid desiccant dehumidification and regeneration process to meet cooling and freshwater needs of desert greenhous...
R. Lefers, N.M.S. Bettahalli, S.P. Nunes, N. Fedoroff, P.A. Davies, T.O. Leiknes
Desalination and Water Treatment, 1-13, (2016)
Selection of suitable fertilizer draw solute for a novel fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis-anaerobic membrane biorea...
Y. Kim, L. Chekli, W.-G. Shim, S. Phuntsho, S. Li, N. Ghaffour, T.O. Leiknes, H.K. Shon
Bioresource Technology, Volume 210, pp. 26-34, (2016)
Life cycle cost of a hybrid forward osmosis - low pressure reverse osmosis (FO-LPRO) system for seawater desalinati...
R. Valladares Linares, Z. Li, V.Y. Quintanillz, N. Ghaffour, G.L. Amy, T.O. Leiknes, J.S. ...
Accepted, Water Research, (2016)
Fertiliser drawn forward osmosis process: Pilot-scale desalination of mine impaired water for fertigation
S. Phuntsho, J.E. Kim, M.A.H. Johir, S. Hong, Z. Li, N. Ghaffour, T.O. Leiknes, H.K. Shon
Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 508, p. 22-31, (2016)
Sustainable organic loading rate and energy recovery potential of mesophilic anaerobic membrane bioreactor for muni...
C.-H. Wei, M. Harb, G.L. Amy, P.-Y. Hong, T.O. Leiknes
Bioresource Technology, 166, p. 326-334, (2014)
- Ph.D., Engineering NTNU-Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway, 2001
- M.S., Civil / Environmental Engineering, University of Minnesota, USA, 1993
- M.A., University of Bergen, Norway, 1982
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Bergen Technical University College, Bergen, Norway, 1982
- B.S., Divinity, Metodistkirkens Prakt.- Teologiske Seminar og Studiesenter, Bergen, Norway, 1979
- 2014-Present: Director of WDRC, KAUST, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- 2013-Present: Professor, Environmental Science and Engineering, KAUST, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- 2005-2013: Professor, Environmental Engineering, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
- 2002-2005: Associate Professor, Environmental Engineering, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
- 1996-2002: Assistant Professor, Environmental Engineering, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
- 2001: Visiting Fellow, UNESCO Membrane Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- 1992: Research and Development Engineer. (part-time employment) Membran Corporation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- 1991-1996: Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, Faculty of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, USA
- 1990-1991: Project Administrator, Project Engineer, IT coordinator, Østlandskonsult A/S (Consulting Engineers) Stavanger, Norway
- 1989-1990: Head of Computer Section, Project administrator, Interconsult A/S – Harare, Zimbabwe. Resident Engineer, Interconsult A/S – Mongu, Zambia
- 1987-1988: Project administrator, Project Engineer, IT coordinator, Østlandskonsult A/S (Consulting Engineers) Stavanger, Norway
- 1983-1987: Engineer, Planning Department, City Engineer, Municipality of Stavanger, Norway
Scientific and Professional Memberships
- MS – European Membrane Society: Council member and elected president, from 2005-2009
- NAMS – North American Membrane Society
- EDS – European Desalination Society
- WEF – Water and Environment Federation
- IWA – International Water Association (Specialty groups: Membrane Technology, Particle Separation Processes, Wastewater Reclamation Recycling and Reuse, Design and Operation of Small Wastewater Treatment Plants, Water and Waste Technology and Management Strategies for Developing Countries)
- Norsk vannforening (Norwegian Water Society)
- Visiting Professor, The J. S. Braun/Braun Intertec Professorship in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Minnesota, USA, 2010
- Fulbright Fellowship Award, for USA, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, USA, 2010-2011
- Water Desalination and Reuse Center (WDRC)
- Division of Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE)